April 16, 2021
T O : All Clearing Banks/Institutions
R E : IMPLEMENTATION OF THE NEW CHECK DESIGN STANDARDS AND SPECIFICATIONS
1. As recommended by the Clearing Officers of Banks represented by COCI and as approved by the PCHC Board, we
wish to inform that implementation of the new Check Design Standards and Specifications has been deferred to
May 2, 2023.
2. In this connection, just please be reminded that starting May 2, 2023, only the following clearing items shall be
acceptable for clearing:
2.1. Checks that comply with the new Check Design Standards and Specifications. On top of the design
revisions already published in CICS Memo No. 19-030 dated February 11, 2019, new design Checks include the
2.1.1. Standard Month-Day-Year format (MM-DD-YYYY) for date, supported by date format guide below the
dateline and box for each of the MM-DD-YYYY letters.
2.1.2. Peso (₱) Sign moved out of the Amount in Figures box (placed before the box).
2.1.3. Boxed Signature/s Line/Spaced
2.2. Old Format Checks in any of the following conditions:
2.2.1. Post-Dated Checks (PDCs) accepted/stamped ‘Warehoused’ by banks prior to May 2, 2023;
2.2.2. PDCs without ‘Warehoused’ stamp but bearing or printed with ‘Unique Identification Code’ (UIC) that
indicates receipt by banks (for warehousing) prior to February 11, 2019 (date of issuance of CICS OM
No. 19-030) ; and
2.2.3. Manager’s Check/Cashier’s Check issued by the clearing banks bearing the Waiver Statement and
features required prior to the issuance of CICS OM No. 19-03;
will still be acceptable for clearing beyond May 1, 2023.
3. Take note of item 2.2.2 above which is about PDCs that have no ‘Warehoused’ stamp. Notwithstanding the absence
of the stamp, acceptance of such PDCs is allowed because stamping and recapturing of previously accepted PDCs
may be tedious and prone to errors.
4. A non-compliant Check that does fall within the conditions mentioned in 2.1 when presented for clearing shall be
returned by the Drawee Bank to the Presenting Banks using the reason: Refer to Issuer: Old Format Check.
Moreover, such presentment is subject to the applicable penalty of ₱1,000.00 per item/day or amount of item
multiplied by the average IBCL rate of the day, whichever is higher, pursuant to the provision stated in CICS OM No.
17-019 dated 13 September 2017.
5. This Memo supersedes CICS OM. NO. 19-031.
6. We count on the full cooperation of all participating banks.